Surrey Churches Index



A guide to Churches and Graveyards in Surrey for family historians



Sutton Place, St. Edward the Confessor

Go to the Surrey Churches Index

Go to the West Surrey Family History Society Home page

click here to jump to the location map towards the bottom of the page


image of St. Edward the Confessor church
© copyright churchphotos.org.uk
published under a Creative commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 UK: England & Wales licence


This Roman Catholic church is in the grounds of Sutton Place.

Historical notes on English Catholic missions, Kelly, Bernard W. (Rev), 1907:

This notable house was erected between 1520 and 1530 by Sir Richard Weston, a devoted supporter of Queen Catherine of Aragon, whose badge yet remains carved and sculptured on many parts of the old house.

Sir Richard, who was a Knight of the Bath and Under-Treasurer of England, accompanied King Henry VIII. to the 'Field of the Cloth of Gold.' In spite of this and other marks of the royal favour, one of his sons was executed in 1536 for an alleged intrigue with Anne Boleyn. Sir Henry Weston, son of this latter unfortunate gentleman, enjoyed the friendship of Queen Elizabeth, who more than once visited Sutton Park. She even allowed Sir Henry to retain a priest in his house, for the Westons were staunch Catholics.

The old house still stands almost as Sir Richard erected it. The last of the Westons was Melior Mary, who died in 1782. She bequeathed the estate to John Webbe, Esq., a near relation, who thereupon assumed the additional name of Weston. The estates are now owned by the Salvins, another old Catholic family, who inherited them from the Webb-Westons.

According to tradition, Mass had been continuously said,' more or less openly,' at Sutton Park till the opening of the new church in the Park in 1876. The priests in charge of the mission acted outwardly as bailiffs of the family, 'by reason of the laws.' Their names and dates of service and death are preserved among the archives of the mission. After the French revolution several of the emigre clergy did duty here. One of them subsequently became Archbishop of Tours. Several are buried in Merrow Churchyard, others at Send and at Sutton Place.

The present church, in the Gothic style, was built between September 20, 1875, and September 27, 1876, when it was solemnly opened by Bishop Danell. The architect was Mr. James Harris, of Woking. The Lady Altar was built by Captain and Mrs. Charles Salvin in memory of of their daughter.


The Church of St. Edward the Confessor forms part of the Roman Catholic ecclesiastical parishan ecclesiastical parish is an administrative area within the Church of England or Roman Catholic church. It is distinct from the civil parish, a local government unit in England of Guildford along with the Church of ​St Mary Aldershot Road, the Church of St. Joseph Eastgate Gardens and the Church of St Pius X Laustan Close.

There is a graveyard at St. Edward's Church.

West Surrey Family History Society CD18 (Metropolitan Surrey Burials Index (including some Rural Parishes)) has burial records for Sutton Place, St. Edward the Confessor from 1878 to 1928.

See our sales page for more information (opens in a new page).


The Roman Catholic Church of St. Edward the Confessor is located in the Anglican Ancient Parishan Ancient Parish is a Church of England parish which, until the 19th century, had both ecclesiastical and civil functions of St. Peter Woking.

Brookwood Cemetery is approximately five miles away


Sutton Place is in the Woking district of Surrey.


Unless otherwise stated the dates for the creation of parishes are taken from Youngs, Frederick. A., jr.. Guide to the Administrative Units of England; Royal Historical Society: London, 1979 volume 1 Southern England.




The Woking Index will show you all the churches and cemeteries we know of in the Woking District. If we have missed any or you are looking for a church or graveyard that might no longer exist do please let us know using the email at the bottom of this page

If you came to this page from our main index to churchyards


If you came from the Woking page use the button at the top of this page to close the page and go back to the Woking index.


Links

Church photos

Parish web site

Taking Stock

Wikipedia

GEN UKI Pages

Exploring Surrey's Past

contact us:
https://surreychurches.org.uk/contact










What3Words® ///coffee.bunch.couch




contact us:
https://surreychurches.org.uk/contact



© Tony Kelly 2014-2021



Page last updated: 20 July 2021
next review July 2025


web site sponsored by Wychhill Consulting


wychhill web site logo













Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional