Surrey Churches Index



A guide to Churches and Graveyards in Surrey for family historians

Compton Cemetery

Go to the Surrey Churches Index

Go to the West Surrey Family History Society Home page

click here to jump to the location map towards the bottom of the page


image of cemetery chapel
© copyright churchphotos.org.uk
published under a Creative commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 UK: England & Wales licence


West Surrey Family History Society has details of two war graves in Compton Cemetery.


for more information about which Monumental Inscriptions are available use our contact page:

https://surreychurches.org.uk/contact




Friends of Surrey Cemeteries (Surrey Cemeteries: a survey, 2012):

Churchyard closed circa 1895.

New ground on Budbury Hill purchased by Compton Parish Council from the Loseley Estate. A model-sketch of chapel produced by Mrs Watts which the Watts offered to build. Kiln built in the garden of Limnerslease under direction of William De Morgan. Villagers given evening classes in ceramics. Chapel begun in 1896 – Terra cotta work finished 1898.

Dedicated 1 Jul 1898 by Archbishop of Canterbury. Structure built by Heal & Jackson. Consecrated 1898. Decoration all done by (70) villagers – out of this Potters Art Guild formed. Work on interior Gesso commenced 1901. North side of cemetery well-head a gift from Mrs Watts in 1906. She also designed the memorial cloisters (91ft by 7ft) – finished for George Frederick Watts birth day on 23 Feb 1911 – relief on two tablets by Russell Davey. Recumbent figure of Watts by the Guild. Ironwork done by Clarence Sex, son of the Compton blacksmith. Mrs Watts was cremated at St Johns in Sep 1938.

SHC 942.2 com p.
SHC 7554/1/11 cemetery committee minute book Dec 1951-Aug 1973.

Visited in 2005 - Slippery brick paths on sloping site on right hand side of lane. Chapel a marvel. Cloistered area above chapel along NE boundary. A number of terra-cotta memorials. Area beyond chapel furthest from road rather more municipal with rows of average memorials. Generally well kept however and attractive. No facilities and limited parking along roadside.


Compton Cemetery is in the Ancient Parishan Ancient Parish is a Church of England parish which, until the 19th century, had both ecclesiastical and civil functions of Compton St. Nicholas


WSFHS CD10 (The Surrey Burial Index) has burial records for Compton St. Nicholas from 1639 to 1875. See our sales page for more information (opens in a new page).

WSFHS CD15(Surrey Baptisms Not in the IGI) has Baptismal records for Compton St. Nicholas from 1788 to 1805. See our sales page for more information (opens in a new page).

WSFHS CD30(Ancient Parishes in the Guildford District - Transcriptions and Indexes) has Baptismal, Marriage and Burial records for Compton St. Nicholas for 1587, and from 1639 to 1840. See our sales page for more information (opens in a new page).



Compton is a (civil) parisha Civil Parish is the bottom most tier of local government in England Sometimes called Town Councils in urban areas

[NB Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have different systems of local government]
in the District of Guildford


Unless otherwise stated the dates for the creation of parishes are taken from Youngs, Frederick. A., Guide to the Administrative Units of England; Royal Historical Society: London, 1979 volume 1 Southern England.




The Guildford Index will show you all the churches and cemeteries we know of in the Guildford District. If we have missed any or you are looking for a church or graveyard that might no longer exist do please let us know using the email at the bottom of this page

If you came to this page from our main index to churchyards


If you came from the Guildford Borough page use the button at the top of this page to close the page and go back to the Guildford index.








Cemetery photos


Village web site


Parish Council web site


Wikipedia


GEN UKI Pages


British History on Line


contact us:
https://surreychurches.org.uk/contact



© Tony Kelly 2014-2021



Page last updated: 13 August 2019

web site sponsored by Wychhill Consulting


wychhill web site logo