Surrey Churches Index



A guide to Churches and Graveyards in Surrey for family historians

Shottermill Cemetery

sometimes called Sunvale Cemetery

Go to the Surrey Churches Index

Go to the West Surrey Family History Society Home page

click here to jump to the location map towards the bottom of the page


image of church
© Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.


WSFHS holds only war grave information for Shottermill St. Stephen.
for more information about which Monumental Inscriptions are available use our contact page:

https://surreychurches.org.uk/contact


Friends of Surrey Cemeteries (Surrey Cemeteries: a survey, 2012):
Sunvale Avenue, Wollmer Hill, Haslemere.

Opened 1934. 2.2 acres. Extended 1950.

Waverley DC, Bridge Street, Godalming GU7 1HR. 01483 523 333. Only cemetery managed by Waverley Council, others transferred to parish or town councils.

SHC 6970/3/12 plan of extension 1950 covering 3 acres
TNA H045/23037 burial records 1934-1949.

Newspaper report in November 1931 refers to meeting at Farnham RDC where letter received from Countess Cawdor about an appeal by Vicar & churchwardens of Shottermill of urgent necessity for a burial ground at Linchmere, asking MOH to reconsider decision not to proceed. The clerk had been instructed to communicate with the land-owner Mr O Trew to seek extension of the option on the land, he had responded by asking for payment of £100 for the option as the council had already had 6 months option at no charge. The council decided to forward the correspondence to Haslemere UDC for consideration.

Newspaper report Sep 1930 (?) refers to Haslemere UDC having taken an option at £100 for the Linchmere site as joint H & S Cemetery. Haslemere was being asked to abandon the scheme which was to set up joint committee with Farnham Rural Council to provide the cemetery at a cost to Haslemere of £2,000. There was opposition from residents of Haslemere, Linchmere and surrounding parishes. Also Haslemere PCC (St Bartholomew’s) was negotiating the purchase of land at Church Hill – it was suggested that HUDC would prefer to fund this alternative.

Further problems arose as Mr Lowe had agreed to sell 4½ acres lately belonging to the Parsons trust (connected to Churchill House, Churchill farm in Weycombe road area) if HUDC were released from the agreement. It appeared that although Haslemere would be happy Shottermill would not be. Then Mr Lowe said he had been prepared to sell to the HUDC not the PCC and anyway was the field behind his house suitable?

Heresay suggests some graves may have been removed in recent years but no documentation found supporting this.

Haslemere UDC minutes state that in 1928 Shottermill was zoned as burial ground by Farnham UDC. In 1929 Shottermill PC wrote to Farnham and said not needed as they assumed a joint cemetery to be formed at Church Hill. However when Linchmere proposal fell through they reverted to original plan. A dispute followed with the owner Mr Larbey over valuation as he had purchased land in 1930 for housing when it had been rezoned as such. After arbitration it was agreed to pay £1000 for the land, the money being borrowed by HUDC over 30 years. Legal costs added £100 and the layout was budgeted at £800. The land was purchased in Sep 1933. The lowest tender for iron fencing - £157 13/-4d – was accepted. By March 1934 the layout and path foundations were in place and fencing being erected. A proposal to call it Haslemere Cemetery was rejected at council.

Visited 2009. Signed to Shottermill Cemetery on road. New metal railings all round. Entrance area at end of housing estate. Sides wooded with footpath along one boundary. Small stone building in south western corner. A few low bushes but otherwise wet grassy areas. Memorials generally very ordinary. It looks as if original paths to southwest and at end to northwest have been grassed over for future burial. The cemetery is now quite full. Some metal grave numbers. Largish catholic area at far end of cemetery includes the Dolmetschs.

Memorial “In memory of those babies who died after a fire at Ridgecombe, Hindhead on April 1st 1944 – Anthony, Andrew, John, Sandra, Mervyn, Suzanne, Michael. Grave numbers E79 & E89” This was a ministry of Health emergency hospital for expectant mothers (evacuees), four sites in Surrey. First reports were of 5 dead babies but 16 babies and expectant mothers rescued with the mothers doing “surprisingly well”. Later reports said a total of 13 had died with an inquest on the first 10 held on the 6th April but adjourned to the 26th. The 11th died at St Heliers hospital and the 12th & 13th at Warren Road hospital Ilford. After a five hour inquest by Mr Wills Taylor Coroner for West Surrey held on the 26th with 30 witnesses the cause of the fire was not ascertained but it was held to be accidental and there was no neglect or delay in dealing with the fire.
The cemetery is in the ecclesiastical parishan ecclesiastical parish is an administrative area within the Church of England or Roman Catholic church. It is distinct from the civil parish, a local government unit in England of Shottermill which was created out of the Ancient Parishan Ancient Parish is a Church of England parish which, until the 19th century, had both ecclesiastical and civil functions of Frensham St. Mary the Virgin in 1846

Shottermill is on the edge of the modern town of Haslemere. The nearest church is Haslemere St. Bartholomew.


WSFHS CD10(The Surrey Burial Index - 2nd edition 2009) has burial records for See our sales page for more information (opens in a new page).

WSFHS CD15 (Surrey Baptisms Not in the IGI - 2nd edition 2009) has baptismal records for Shottermill St Stephen from 1846-1876 See our sales page for more information (opens in a new page).

WSFHS CD18 (Metropolitan Surrey Burials Index (including some Rural Parishes)) has burial records for Frensham St Mary the Virgin from 1866-1875. See our sales page for more information (opens in a new page).

WSFHS CD42 (Ancient Parishes in the Farnham district.September 2014) has records for Frensham St Mary the Virgin : Baptisms 1650-1840, Marriages 1649-1837 and Burials 1649-1840. See our sales page for more information (opens in a new page).




Shottermill is a village in the (civil) parisha Civil Parish is the bottom most tier of local government in England Sometimes called Town Councils in urban areas

[NB Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have different systems of local government]
of Haslemere in the Waverley district of Surrey.


Unless otherwise stated the dates for the creation of parishes are taken from Youngs, Frederick. A., Guide to the Administrative Units of England; Royal Historical Society: London, 1979 volume 1 Southern England.




The Waverley Index will show you all the churches and cemeteries we know of in the Waverley District. If we have missed any or you are looking for a church or graveyard that might no longer exist do please let us know using the email at the bottom of this page

If you came to this page from our main index to churchyards


If you came from the Waverley page use the button at the top of this page to close the page and go back to the Waverley index.







Google calls it "Sunvale cemetery", Waverley Council, which owns the cemetery, calls it "Shottermill cemetery"
///guilty.struck.toasters

Waverley Council web site


Wikipedia


GEN UKI Pages [in Haslemere]


A Vision on Britain through time

contact us:
https://surreychurches.org.uk/contact



© Tony Kelly 2014-2021



Page last updated: 15 February 2020

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Valid CSS!



web site sponsored by Wychhill Consulting


wychhill web site logo