Surrey Churches Index

A guide to Churches and Graveyards in Surrey for family historians

Stafford Wood St. Silvan

Go to the Surrey Churches Index

Go to the West Surrey Family History Society Home page

click here to jump to the location map towards the bottom of the page

image of former church
© Copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.

The church is a small structure, picturesquely situated by the road side among woods and fields. It was originally constructed as a Mission Room as a result of a legacy from Samuel Charlesworth, Rector of Limpsfield from 1857-70. It was consecrated as a church in 1930. It underwent change in 1976 when part of the building was remodelled to provide living accommodation for the priest caring for this remote part of the parish.

Statement on the decision to close St Silvan’s, Staffhurst Wood, in the parish of Limpsfield & Titsey

St Silvan’s Staffhurst Wood was a licensed place of worship built in 1898, as the daughter church of St Peter’s Limpsfield, to serve the many people who then lived nearby in the farming community. For many years a retired priest lived there and took the services at Silvan’s. Sadly he died in 2011 and since then, the services have been taken by the clergy of the Limpsfield and Tatsfield Team Ministry. The building itself is in need of some work in the coming years.

Over the past two years, the leaders of St Peter’s and St Silvan’s have a spent a good deal of time exploring together whether there can be a viable future for St Silvan’s as a place of worship. After long and careful consideration, those responsible for leadership across the Team Ministry believe that the future of the parishes would not be best served by putting further human and financial resources into St Silvan’s, especially as there are several other churches nearby. They are fully committed to helping the few people whose home is presently there to find other places of worship. On July 9th 2013 St Peter’s PCC made the decision that St Silvan’s should be closed, and the Bishop of Croydon accepted an invitation to come to officiate at a final Thanksgiving Evensong that took place Sunday evening, 11th August 2013

From accessed 3 February 2016

WSFHS has no records for this church


Parish web site


British History on line

contact us:

What3Words® ///

contact us:

© Tony Kelly 2014-2024

Page last updated: 17 May 2022
next review May 2026

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

web site sponsored by Wychhill Consulting
Wychhill web site logo