Surrey Churches Index



A guide to Churches and Graveyards in Surrey for family historians

Epsom, St. Joseph



Go to the Surrey Churches Index

Go to the West Surrey Family History Society Home page

click here to jump to the location map towards the bottom of the page


image of Epsom St Joseph church
© Roger Miller and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.



The church of St. Joseph is a Roman Catholic church built ca. 2001. There is no graveyard. This ecclesiastical parishan ecclesiastical parish is an administrative area within the Church of England or Roman Catholic church. It is distinct from the civil parish, a local government unit in England was originally established around 1923.

It is in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Arundel and Brighton.

The original St Joseph Church was established in Heathcote Road and built around 1865. It was demolished in October 2000.
Historical notes on English Catholic missions, Kelly, Bernard W. (Rev), 1907:


In April 1859 Fr. J. B. Hearn opened the mission at a cottage in Woodcote Road, hired at £14 per annum. The church stuff consisted of an altar, chalice, cross, candlesticks, altar linen, and three chasubles. In 1860 (February) Fr. (Canon) David, of Croydon, said Mass at Epsom every other Friday, and catechised the children, besides attending sick calls. The first resident priest was Fr. Patrick Kelly, 1861. The church, ' a neat Gothic structure,' was erected 1865-66. Lord Russell of Killowen, Lord Chief Justice of England, was for many years the chief Catholic resident at Epsom, and a generous patron of the mission. Fr. T. Morrissey is the present incumbent of the church.

N.B. — The few Catholics about Epsom were attended during the middle part of the eighteenth century by the Benedictine missioners attached to Lady Petre's Chapel at Cheam (q.v.). At the time of the French Revolution the priest at the Dominican College at Bornhem House, Carshalton, undertook this duty. "When Mr. Mylius established his school in the same house after the departure of the Dominicans (1812) the Abbe Chabot, his chaplain, continued to attend to the Catholics at Epsom for some years


The St. Joseph's is located in the Anglican Ancient Parishan Ancient Parish is a Church of England parish which, until the 19th century, had both ecclesiastical and civil functions of Epsom St. Martin. Some very old burials may have taken place in that churchyard.

The Surrey Monumental Inscriptions Index has just under 1,700 names from monuments in the Ancient Parishan Ancient Parish is a Church of England parish which, until the 19th century, had both ecclesiastical and civil functions of Epsom St. Martin.
for more information about which Monumental Inscriptions are available use our contact page:

https://surreychurches.org.uk/contact




West Surrey Family History Society CD10 (The Surrey Burial Index - 2nd edition 2009) has burial records for: WSFHS CD 15(Surrey Baptisms Not in the IGI) has baptismal records for WSFHS CD 18 Metropolitan Surrey Burials Index (including some Rural Parishes) has burial records for WSFHS CD44 Some Ancient Parishes in the Epsom district has burial records for: Epsom St. Martin from 1813 to 1876, Marriages from 1695 to 1838 and Burials from 1695 to 1866

See our sales page for more information (opens in a new page).




Epsom is in the Epsom and Ewell District of Surrey


Unless otherwise stated the dates for the creation of parishes are taken from Youngs, Frederick. A. Guide to the Administrative Units of England; Royal Historical Society: London, 1979 volume 1 Southern England.




The Epsom and Ewell Index will show you all the churches and cemeteries we know of in the Epsom and Ewell District. If we have missed any or you are looking for a church or graveyard that might no longer exist do please let us know using the email at the bottom of this page

If you came to this page from our main index to churchyards


If you came from the Elmbridge page use the button at the top of this page to close the page and go back to the Epsom and Ewell index.

Links

Parish web site

Diocese of Arundel and Brighton

Wikipedia

GEN UKI

British History on-line

Location map for the former church building



contact us:
https://surreychurches.org.uk/contact






What3Words® ///banana.types.input

The very approximate W3W® address for the old church is What3Words® ///sooner.shots.hotel


contact us:
https://surreychurches.org.uk/contact



© Tony Kelly 2014-2021



Page last updated: 27 October 2020

web site sponsored by Wychhill Consulting


wychhill web site logo