Friends of Surrey Cemeteries (Surrey Cemeteries: a survey, 2012):
Opened 1910. Chapel and Lodge (latter sold off).
Visited 2006. Located on north side of A30 to east of Staines but surprisingly tranquil considering the road and air traffic. Owned by Spelthorne council but maintenance contracted out, mown every 2 weeks – workers in cemetery very friendly and seemed conscientious.
Small single chapel designed by W Ralph Low and built by W Hamerton in 1909. Lodge off Long Lane in middle of cemetery sold off.
Area estimated at 8-10 acres, fenced all round with reasonable planting but lots of flowers on graves. No mausolea with memorials and layout fairly municipal but well kept. Toilets open but not well maintained or cleaned. Due to the water table most burials at 7ft 6ins but some down to 9ft 6ins. Staff obtained key to chapel and showed us round – simple but well maintained. Site map at entrance to burial ground.
Controversy over insensitivity of topple-testing in 2005 however plans for further testing in 2009 but with repairs to be carried out by council.